The Medically Dependent Children Waiver Program provides respite care for families with medically involved children and young adults, as a cost-effective alternative to providing for their care in a nursing facility.
MDCP has a broad array of respite services and other supports such as home modifications, adaptive aids (devices, controls, or appliances that enable users to retain or to increase their abilities to perform activities of daily living or control their environment) and supports to enable eligible children to participate in child care, and to help young adults move towards independent living.
MDCP allows you more control over your program services if you are able and willing to take more responsibility for coordinating the services. When you choose MDCP, you or your legal representative become the employer of your direct service providers.
- You hire your own employees (including family, friends or neighbors).
- You develop a budget of your service plan funds.
- You set wages, benefits and schedules.
If You Choose MDCP, HRA, (A Consumer Directed Service Agency) can:
- Provide training on your role as employer
- Provide information so you can make informed decisions about
setting wages and benefits for your employees and budgeting your service plan funds
- Process your employees’ timesheets, handle your payroll and act as your agent to pay federal and state employment taxes
- Provide assistance and support if problems arise
To be eligible, individuals must:
- Live in Texas and be under age 21;
- Be eligible for Medicaid based on their income and financial resources;
- Meet the medical criteria for admission to a Texas nursing facility;
- Meet the Supplemental Security Income medical disability criteria; and
- Have an individual plan of care, signed by a doctor or licensed healthcare professional.
To find out more about MCDP or to apply, please contact the Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) at www.dads.state.tx.us or call 512-438-3011.